Thursday, June 23, 2011

My Sweep Experience

Sapu!!! :) Went for SWEEP which stands for Social Work Exposure and Embracement Program, organised by FES.



I'll just give a summary about what had happened for the past 2 weeks.. :)

For the past 2 weeks, I was exposed to the current social issues in Malaysia, for example :
human trafficking, refugees in malaysia, disabled community, neglected community, poverty, HIV and Aids, etc. and also given the opportunity to meet these people and hear from them firsthand. It was indeed an awesome yet heart-breaking exposure. I've received so much more than what I actually expected from SWEEP. Thank you FES staff - Joshua, Lian Cui, Jane, Swee Kit, Karyn, Richard and Darshini for investing your time and effort in my life! :)

Day 1. SWEEP started off with an ice-breaker. Semua masih malu ketika tu.. :p


One of the activities during SWEEP opening.



Understanding physically disabled. Everyone was given a 'disability'. Mine was one hand cacat. Si tien was given the chance to travel on wheelchair.



And the challenge was to walk down to petaling street (together as a team) and get some ingredients to cook for lunch. yeah man, so cool right :p



The uncle is so nice, sponsored us some free chicken meat :) maybe because im cute.HAHAHA



Then we Cooooook! Padan muka ini orang..hahahaha



1st week of my attachment was St.Mark Cozy Home. Had fun exercising, talking, laughing, eating, singing and folding clothes with the old people :) It was my first time hearing stories from old people there who are being left behind by their family members.. one of them has 11 kids.. one of them told me, she wants to go back to the Lord. Deep inside, I asked many questions.. why would their family members leave them behind? there could be many reasons.. but since when family is about focusing on each other's weaknesses or strengths? I thought family is about accepting one another for who they are...? Please don't leave them behind... :(



My partner, Allison :) She likes to read.. She's very nice and caring but very forgetful! I miss her.. She forgets my name every 10 minutes! haha so cute..So when I was about to leave, I said to her, "It's okay la if you forget my name, but remember your God..So who is your God??" "Jesus!", she replied. "Clever girl!" :)



2nd week of attachment..I was being sent to a school specially for the 'less fortunate' children.. Taught them (children from 4 years old to 8 years old) how to make some basic sentences, eg I am hungry. I want to eat.HAHAHA :p I've received so much more than what I've given :) Very nice bunch of kids.. very cute :) I like to see them worshiping God and praying to God :)


They only get to eat meat occasionally. Some of them don't even know what is superman when Swee Kit asked. They never get to watch tv, I guess.. Despite all the challenges that they are facing in their lives, they still put their trust and hope in the Lord :) especially the teachers there.. So encouraging!



Attended BM service on Sunday at SIB Brickfields! Thank you for having us there, so blessed!



Inilah KLI...KLCC! yang dikata-katakan! :p



Understanding vulnerable communities. Greatest enemy is not disease but despair!




Games! :)



Chillax~



SWEEP CLOSING



Sweepers 2011, being 'sent' out....



To lay down bricks and to build a bridge of reconciliation.



Steph and I :) my hair macam ada highlight..nampak tak nampak tak?? :D



The cute CarmenS :p



UV!



USM-ers!



Compassion ought to be followed by an action.


Father, I pray that You will always
teach me how to show compassion.
To love mercy.
To stand up for those who cannot stand on their own.
To speak for those who cannot speak for themselves.
Give me the boldness. Empower me.
In Jesus' name, amen.



No comments:

Post a Comment