Monday, April 2, 2012

Pada suatu hari, ketika di Penang Cheshire Home


It was a good experience :)
At first, I thought that it would be something like United Voice but I was wrong. It was so different. The people there were much severe compared to United Voice.. most of them are on wheel chairs. It breaks my heart seeing them, I didn't know what to do, what to say.. but I smiled when I see some of them playing in the swimming pool :) Hey, they can have fun too!

We helped out in Gotong-Royong :)
After that we were given the chance to sing some songs and interact with them. Esther chose a song entitled "I want to be your friend" and we were asked to go around to shake their hands while singing that song. I was afraid at first because their hands/legs are not normal..but then I told myself that I NEED to touch them. I WANT to touch them..because I know the power of touch. Jesus touched the leper. He could have just said, "Be healed!" but no.. Jesus took that extra step. He touched the leper.

Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man. “I am willing,” he said. “Be clean!” Immediately he was cleansed of his leprosy. Matthew 8:3

It was my first time shaking a hand that is different from mine.. a crippled hand. When I saw the joy in his eyes, I smiled back :) ahh, such a joy to be God's instrument to touch one's life.

There was one man who can't speak properly. He can't pronounce words. I think something wrong with his throat because he pointed at his throat. I can't really understand him.. so he wrote on a piece of cardboard..some chinese characters.. I struggled in reading too since my cina not that good haha.. but he was trying to tell me his name :) Later on, I asked him more questions as I wanted to interact more with him. I asked, "So what is your hobby? Is it sleeping? He said, "Loo.." which means 'No'. Then I continued, "Eating?" He replied, "Loo..." and I asked again, "Singing?" Then he said, "Loo.." and this time he pointed at his throat.. I felt like banging my head against the wall. Why am I soooo stupid?? Arghh...how can a person who couldn't even pronounce words properly to enjoy singing? He already find it very difficult to speak, what more to open his mouth to sing? :(

Thank you for making the effort to communicate with me :)


Also, I encountered this boy who cannot eat properly because of the disabilities that he has.. It was sad to see that he needs to make the extra effort in order to feed himself. The spoon that he uses is not like ours, it was a bit special because it was bended.. like an 'L' shape. At first, Monica was helping him to eat..and then he tried to eat an apple by himself :) ahh, felt so encouraged to see him having that initiative to want to do it himself.

I never really thought that eating can be a difficulty. No conscious effort is needed for me to eat something, I have the privilege to enjoy my meals most of the time..to eat my favourite food.. but this boy, he needs to make a lot of effort in order to eat.

I never thought that speaking can be a difficulty. Since young, I have always been opening my mouth to speak whenever I want..speak only lar.. and people understand what I'm saying.. even if they misunderstood, I have the chance to explain myself.. but this man that I met, he may not have this privilege.

I never thought that singing can be a difficulty. Reminds me of a late uncle in church who was paralyzed and came to church on a wheel chair every Sunday. It was not easy for him to sing too. He made effort to sing praises to God. He chose to praise God despite the difficulty that he has.

It was heart-breaking. But at the same time, I'm reminded to be thankful, to be grateful.. not to misuse my hands, legs, mouth, etc..not to take them for granted but to use them for God's glory.

Some of them have encouraged me by their cheerfulness. Some of them encouraged me by their friendliness. Some of them encouraged me by their responsiveness :)
They may not be so fortunate.. but I am so privileged, how then should I use the gifts that God has given to me?



How then, should we use our gifts?

No comments:

Post a Comment