Sunday, February 1, 2015

Escape

A quitter, I am. 

I realize how easily I give up on something or someone..especially when the going gets tough. I'm not a tough person and I hate challenges so I will always incline to the easy way out - escape or run away. My flesh would always choose comfort rather than pain, self rather than others. This morning in church, I was just worshiping God and wondering if God understands how I feel or can He even relate to me since He is God Himself? 

Then I was reminded on the Garden of Gethsemane. A place where Jesus prayed to God, to take away the cup of suffering; the cross that He was about to die on, the sins of the world that He needed to carry. Yet, He chose obedience to the will of the Father.. to die on the cross.

At this point (as I'm typing all these), there is still tug-of-war happening inside of me. One part says, "Trust your Father" and another says, "I don't want to do this anymore". My boyfriend said leadership is a lonely journey because most leaders walk alone. I would like to add on to that; not only leaders but any person who is going through struggles - be it sickness, financial difficulty, family issues, ministries, addictions, workplace politics - these are all lonely journeys because at the end of the day, you have to face it all by yourself. No one can walk this journey for you though some comforts and encouragement may help.

On that night when Jesus was arrested, nobody was there to encourage or to comfort, worst still all His disciples flee. Honestly, if I were there 2000 years ago, I'd definitely flee too because I would be as fearful as they were. Wondering how Jesus must have felt back then? and when He shouted, "My God, my God why have You forsaken me?"

He went through all that just so that today we can call God as our Father and we can be assured that Our Father will never leave us nor forsake us.

That's my comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment