Tuesday, May 7, 2013

GE13: My experience

I remember how excited I was to be a first-time voter. I was deeply encouraged to see the crowd lining up early in the morning. Even the lame came to cast their votes! I'm so proud of them. I'm so proud to be called Anak Bangsa Malaysia.

Nevertheless, I also remember witnessing how SPR showed special treatment to a certain party when we were on duty as Pemantau at a school in Balik Pulau. I remember how someone from SPR tried to accuse us of distributing flyers and I heard myself voicing out for justice, "The police there can be our witness!" There were also people who tried to intimidate us by taking our pictures without our consent. They came near to us and snap photos. I remember feeling very fearful. But the police were helpful and I saw them doing their job quite well.


I remember seeing a few motorcyclists roaming around to catch hantu. I prayed for hantu not to come so that there will be no fights..so that there will be peace. I also remember staring at the school and thinking to myself, "Why cheat in a school? The very place where you ask the younger people not to steal, cheat or lie..The very place where you educate the younger generation...Why?". I remember how Fong Wan and I hide under the umbrellas and keep hearing ourselves saying, "I can't take the HEAT anymore!" I remember smiling at this man whom I know are not doing the right things..I hope that one day he will turn away from all these things. I remember praying with Fong Wan as we sat down there by the roadside.

I remember how excited we felt when we were following the latest updates from different sources.. "YES! Unofficial results: XX seat, XX wins!" I remember how Malaysians felt when they flood FB with the latest updates..the excitements and sense of hope. However, I also remember the disappointments and anger that were lashed out after hearing the blackouts incidents


Up till now, I'm still very much angry and sad.. not because BN won but because of how they won. They have lost even the slightest (perhaps 0.01%) respect that I had for them. Changing my FB profile picture to black is not because I have given up hope on Malaysia.. but because I feel disgusted on how the people in power can twist and turn and to cheat Malaysians even when all of us are watching. I can't comprehend the degree of wickedness that the authority is practicing. I mean, please la, Who can? While most Malaysians went to sleep with disappointment in their hearts, I wonder if you, the culprit(s), could sleep well?

But thank you for doing all these because Rakyat will be more aware now. Ya, just in case if you're not aware..Rakyat sudah bangkit. You have reminded us on what it means to be a Malaysian - to care not just for ourselves, not just for Peninsular but also for Sabah and Sarawak. Thank you for challenging us to be even more united than before.




I want to remember how I felt yesterday and today. I want to remind myself of all these things so that I will not forget why I choose to stay back. Somebody said this, "Democrary is not a sprint. It is a marathon." Thank you dear leaders who have fought for the country all these while without us realizing how tired you can be, how disappointing things can turn out to be. Thank you to all who came back to vote. Thank you for believing not in the system but the power of unity.. Thank you, fellow Malaysians for believing together, for fighting together. Because of you, I have grown to love my home even more now. I have no other home. Malaysia is my home. Most importantly, thank you God for being who You are - sovereign, great, mighty and all-knowing!


Though the fig tree may not blossom,
Nor fruit be on the vines;
Though the labor of the olive may fail,
And the fields yield no food;
Though the flock may be cut off from the fold,
And there be no herd in the stalls—
Yet I will rejoice in the Lord,I will joy in the God of my salvation.
The Lord God is my strength;
He will make my feet like deer’s feet,
And He will make me walk on my high hills.
Habakkuk 3:17-19


Upon injustice, we will tell of our God,
The hope of all hearts is You!
Your love never fails.

No comments:

Post a Comment