Thursday, June 5, 2014

The funeral

"He is a good man."

One of our F6 teachers in MBS just passed away last week. He was known for his dedication in teaching and how he loved his students. I went for his funeral wake with a close friend of mine. I saw people tearing/crying for the loss of a good man. But my heart was burdened..more than just for the loss of a good man, a good teacher.. It breaks my heart each time when I attend a non-christian funeral because they didn't know about The hope

As I was just thinking about all these, I remember my closest death experience. It was just few months ago..I had an injection for my scar and suddenly I just couldn't breathe..my body was numb and I could hardly call the doctor for help. The doctor asked me to relax and asked the nurse to bring in the oxygen thingy..(I couldn't breathe and he asked me to relax, kinda funny haha) Anyway, at that time what came to mind was people I love and the assurance that I have in God. Even if I were to die, I know I'll see God and I will end up in heaven. Not because I'm good..I am not good. It is my faith in Jesus who died for me on that cross. This is grace. Something that I don't deserve. This is a gift but it is not cheap.. because it costs Jesus.

There is a difference with christian funerals. Yes, we cry and mourn because there is still pain in this temporal separation..but we have hope. We know that we will meet again in heaven because it is clearly written in the bible. We are assured in this hope. 

Heaven and hell are real. It is not enough to be a "good man". Nobody is good enough for heaven. We need a saviour.

No comments:

Post a Comment