Thursday, August 18, 2011

open up my eyes


Today, I was out with Sheryn, Serene and Rose to get Rose a new pair of shoes. Personally, I'm very encouraged by the both of them :) I saw how Serene helped Rose to wear her old shoes. She reminded me of the story of Jesus washing His disciples' feet - Servanthood. I saw how the both of them helped Rose getting in and out of the car.. (I'm driving Satria now, so it's very VERY inconvenient) and also guiding her into the shoe shop.. I'm blessed and encouraged just by observing :)

I waited in the car because there was no parking. While I was in the car, I saw an uncle riding his trishaw.. I don't know what to call an uncle who rides trishaw.. trishawer? :S
I saw this uncle..and he was picking up a box from the dustbin.




And I begin to ask, "What is he doing with the box?" "Is he poor?" "Does he has a family?" "How long does he has to work each day under the hot sun?"
"Is the government helping people like him to have a better life?"


And this is not the first case. Nowadays, I will start questioning myself whenever I see homeless people, people who are not well-off, poor children, refugees... I think somehow SWEEP (Social Work Exposure and Embracement Program) has taught me to OPEN MY EYES and SEE the things around me, the community that I'm living in. Yes, was blind but now I see..learning to see. I cannot be ignorant.. I cannot afford to be ignorant, can I? Souls are crying out for help.

I was reading an article from Berita NECF that Tien posted on her blog.. and I think the writer is right. Perhaps instead of asking questions like "If there is so much unfairness, what is God doing about this?" or "Where is church in this?",

I think I should start asking, “What have you made me for, Lord, in such a time as this?”



No comments:

Post a Comment